Since the moment the job list came out last fall our prospects seemed fairly dismal. When Jon started his current job almost three years ago, we bought a house here with the expectation of attempting two tours in a row. But we also know that when it comes to the Coast Guard, you don't always get what you want. And the local jobs that were available this coming year didn't look too appealing either.
|You wanna send me where?|
So back in the fall, I thought for sure we were going to end up in San Diego. I even started a Pinterest board to research the area. But then that job didn't appear too promising. So we were thinking Florida. A few days later we heard that job probably wasn't going to open up either. We didn't know what to expect - Oregon, Seattle, Philly, New England ... I quickly gave up on the whole Pinterest board thing.
|Jack doesn't want to move, he likes this house.|
So far, Jon has always gotten his first choice. We kind of expected that to NOT happen this time around. Our first choice was a LONG shot. Our second choice was a long shot too, and we were told early on that it wasn't going to happen. But with 8 other jobs to choose from, we were fairly confident we'd still be living in our house this fall.
|I think this was our detailer's reaction as well ...|
And then Joci's diagnosis happened and suddenly that question mark desperately needed an answer. The day after we found out about Joci's heart, Jon went to work and started the process of filing for Special Needs status. Basically, this means that we have a child that requires special medical care so we can request not to be sent to really remote places that wouldn't have adequate medical facilities. During the process, Jon's boss called the detailer to inform of them of the changes and found out he had us penciled in for ...
Still, we didn't know when Joci's surgery would take place. We didn't want to move in the middle of her care, or change surgeons in the process. And now we really wanted to stay close to our families. And during that week of fretting over my baby girl's health I definitely wasn't thinking about trying to put a house on the market...
There's this saying in the military -- "God is my detailer." We usually say it with a laugh, but we know it's true. We can make up our list and plead our case, but at the end of the day, the future is out of our hands. And so I let it go. Honestly, I was so wrapped up in Joci those first few days that everything else was just background noise. If God wanted us to go to Boston, so be it. I even managed to find a few potential houses to rent that were big enough for our growing family. Because as much as I was hoping and praying to stay right here, I'd much rather be in the will of God. So we waited.
A week went by and Jon's boss mentioned something at a meeting about Jon's future job that got our hopes up. But it wasn't official. And until we got word from the actual detailer, even good news isn't much to get excited about. So we waited some more (and had a mini-celebration that we kept to ourselves and our close family and friends).
Another week went by and Jon got a call from the detailer. It was official (well, official without official paperwork) ... we were staying here for two more years!
|First things first, love my new curtains!|
To say we're relieved would be an understatement. Ecstatic is more like it. After a year of wondering we can finally dream again. Naturally, I started with master bedroom curtains. Jon's making a list of "manly" home improvements. I'm starting to brainstorm ideas for our MOPS group next year (the theme is going to be AMAZING!) We're slowly bringing up school, and Jack pretends he's going to kindergarten at least once a day. We'll be meeting with our cardiologist again soon to check out our three other kids now, since Joci's issue is genetic. And Joci herself will be having another heart-check this summer as we continue to go forward.
I like that. Moving forward, but not moving. Two more years! I told myself not to get too attached to this house, but some days I just can't help it. I could kiss the floors this week! But something tells me that by the time our kids are 7, 6, 4, and 3 we may be ready for a different place. The good news is we have two more years to make a few minor improvements and build a little bit more equity before we say goodbye.
|I don't feel guilty about replacing a broken fixture with a new light that I like and can enjoy for two more years!|
And I think that, by then, we'll be ready for an adventure. I'd love to go abroad if the opportunity presents itself, but if not, I think I'd settle for Hawaii. Or even Alaska. I just found out that there is a Target in Anchorage, so I think that would be totally do-able.
But not just yet. For now, we're going to enjoy a little more time of being "settled." And I think the best way to celebrate that event is with a date night courtesy of our favorite (and local!) babysitters, Uncle Jared and Aunt Kylee! Hurrah!