Thursday, May 24, 2012

A winning weekend

This has been a challenging week. But what else is new? I'm thinking I need to change the theme of my blog - Coastie Mama Logs: The Tempest Tales. Hmmm, that's going to require a bit more thought than I have in me right now. Instead, let's just revisit some happier times, like last weekend for instance.

The kids and I headed up to Pennsylvania for a few days. Jon was supposed to be traveling last week and this week, but both trips got canceled. Since it was the neighborhood yard sales at my parents' place (and I had a heck of a lot of stuff I wanted to unload), I decided to go through with our original plans. No, it's not easy to travel by myself with a 3.5 year old (who has to pee every 15 minutes), a 2 year old (who is into screaming, singing and thrashing) and a 7 month old (who is generally easy-going but still has her moments). But nor is it easy to live in a house without a functioning kitchen with three kids either. We needed a change. The trip up wasn't *too* bad. We hit some morning rush-hour traffic but I was prepared with a packed breakfast for the kids. Jack was enjoying his milk, cereal and berries while reading a Richard Scarry word book.  Apparently the combination of food, traffic and reading was a little too much. But of course he didn't tell me. I guess he didn't know how. When I pulled over at a rest stop an hour into our drive and opened the back door, there he was staring down at a pile of barf puddling on his book, shorts and the floor. "I spit, Mommy, I spit." Poor thing. He could barely walk into the restroom, and I couldn't offer much help since I was carrying a baby and leading another toddler. We cleaned up the best we could (me gagging the entire time) and I gave the boys a chance to run around in the fresh air while I nursed the baby.
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
"Kids, we're not in Maryland anymore."
The rest of the trip was fairly uneventful. We made it to Marmie and Poppa's with just enough time to eat lunch and start setting up the yard sale. And can I just say it was a smashing success?! It certainly helped that it was a gorgeous weekend but seriously, my best sale ever. Granted, we had a lot to get rid of after this move - a couple of microwaves, microwave stands, lots of career clothes that I'm finally admitting I'll probably not wear again, maternity and baby clothes, and some old tires. Because old tires sell like hotcakes in Central PA.
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
Priceless.  Unlike old tires.
I made out pretty well myself (and I'm not just talking about the stuff I pulled out of my own boxes because I changed my mind about selling it). I got some good deals from other friends and family members. Including lots of cute clothes for Julia, some toys for the boys, and this fabulous vintage typewriter that my aunt's friend was selling. Jack likes to play with it with his dinosaurs. Fortunately, it's way too heavy for him to move himself. ;)

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

My aunt's friend always has cool stuff: old Willoware. (I only bought one piece, my hutch is stuffed as it is!)

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

These amazing English riding boots (I would have bought them but the foot was too big, the leg too high and the calf too tight. And then I had to spend a humiliating 10 minutes trying to get it off with my mom's assistance).

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

My aunt was also selling these handmade quilts by my great-great aunt Rebecca. I just love family heirlooms, but these wouldn't have survived a day in my house with the boys.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

I wasn't the only one who profited from the sale. The boys also had their first entrepreneurial effort: The Triple J Snack Stand.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Nonnie was their best customer. She said it was just too fun watching them drop quarters in the piggy bank labeled "College Fund."

Honestly, they were too busy doing other fun things to man the stand. Like playing with Marmie's homemade "basketball" hoop.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

We also managed to fit in dinner at The Fence Drive-In. Where my boys got properly muddied up before dinner.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

A visit to the Lewisburg Park.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App


I got some girl time at Eder's with my friend Megan and sister-in-law Kate. And I also got a little visit with my friend Erin and her sweet kids. Elaina was born about 3 weeks before Julia. She's a little bigger, has 4 teeth, sits up and eats lots of food. But we're not competing.

Photobucket
Elaine also wears her hair in cute ponytails.  Her older sister, Jasmine, did up Lia's hair too!
Can you also tell her mom is a photographer? Girlfriend knows what to do when the camera comes out!

Photobucket

The highlight of the weekend (for the boys) was a fishing derby!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Jude fishing, I think this was a rare moment.
I couldn't be there. I would have loved to watch them catch a fish but I'm not much for waiting around for a bite. And I can't say I envied Marmie and Poppa sitting out in the sun with two little boys. These pictures were taken by a friend and captioned by Marmie.
Photobucket
Jack gets brave and puts his hand on Poppa's to check out his "gold fish".
Photobucket
Jude was braver than Jack when he touched the slimy fish.
Photobucket
Poppa:" Do you want to hold it?" Boys: "Ew!"
Jack caught 4 fish! And he won a drawing for a fishing rod. Score! Now we just need to find a place to fish here in Maryland.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Poppa also sent the fish home with us so we could enjoy grilled trout this week (along with grilled vegetables).  Since we are *still* without a stove/oven.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
I grilled this myself, gentlemen.  I'm quickly becoming the grill master in this house!
After a great morning at our "home" church and lunch with both grandparents, we turned the car southward. The trip home was tolerable.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
Such a good traveler!
Jack had to pee four times. And each time I pulled over it was too late.   Plus we had to get gas and I had to nurse the baby.  It was a long day, that thankfully ended with Daddy meeting us at the door and taking over the brood. 

And that was our lovely trip to the home state.  Too short, as always, but I'm sure we'll be back again before the summer is out.  It was a blissful reprieve from our current life of (even more!) illness and kitchen chaos.  But we'll save all that for another day.  This mama is calling it a night!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...