Friday, January 9, 2009

The skinny on mom


I'm doing well, thanks for asking! I'm happy to report that I have officially lost all my baby-weight, in fact, at this point I've even dipped below the pre-pregnancy poundage. I'm not too concerned just yet, but I have to admit, eating 700 or so extra calories a day sounds a lot easier than it is! Between baby, work, and house stuff, I'm hard pressed to find a moment to eat, much less create a decent meal. But I am trying. Being a nursing mother has really caused me to consider what I eat, especially when I see it go in, and out, my sweet little boy. And being sick for those two days over Christmas definitely didn't help. I was trying to drink extra water and eat as much as possible, but it seemed Jack never got to reap the benefits of my labor. Oh well, he didn't appear to suffer any. I can definitely see why it is NO FUN to be sick and a mom. I'm a pretty healthy person (I attribute this to not being a germophobe, yes I eat things off the floor and no I'm not a fan of hand sanitizer, although that is just my personal opinion). And I've somehow been successfully able to avoid my annual sinus infection this season. So my plan this year is to not get sick, at least not as long as I'm Jack's primary caregiver. And to eat more calories! How's that for a New Year's Resolution?
Weight's not the only thing I'm losing. It's truly a wonder I have any hair left with the way my shower drain looks each morning. For Christmas my parents sent me to my former hairdresser back in PA to get my hair cut and highlighted. It's the first time I've been back there since two weeks before my wedding, and I'm so happy to return to my favorite, and affordable, hair-do. But it's frustrating to watch all those newly-blonde locks get sucked down the drain. (Don't worry, I rescue them before they get too far, otherwise my husband would have a fit!) Fortunately, I've always had lots of hair to spare, and my hairdresser assures me it will all grow back eventually. So as long as I don't discover any bald spots, I think I'm okay with this.
Also, my hands have improved immensely. I still wear splints to bed, but only as a preventative measure. They no longer go numb while I'm driving, talking on the phone, or changing diapers. And my rings happily slide right back on. (I've heard too many stories about not being able to fit into rings and shoes post-pregnancy, thankfully I can do both!). So my doctor was right, it took 3 months for things to get back to normal but at least I'm there.
Finally, I absolutely love being a mom. Let's be honest, those first few weeks, or months, I just wasn't sure if I was cut out for this. There were definitely days when I wondered just what we had got ourselves in to. But in the end even the tough times are worth every minute! I now know what people mean when they say their kids are their pride and joy. Nothing I could ever do in work or school will compare with my task in raising Jack. I get to participate in the wonder and excitement of my son experiencing life for the first time. And not a day goes by when he doesn't make me smile ... over and over again. Being a mommy has been the most difficult, but most rewarding, job I've ever had. And it just keeps getting better and better!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...