Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A new twist on roomtime

Move over Pack n' Play, Jack's found a new way to confine himself.

I was busy catching up on emails in the other room when I heard Jack's typical "help I need rescued" whine. I looked out into the kitchen and saw this:



This is Jack's favorite drawer. We've managed, after several weeks, to "child-proof" just about every other cupboard and drawer in the house. I felt bad about shutting down this one though, because it's the first one he discovered. Besides, it's all his stuff anyway. Well, turns out the "proofing mechanism" that Jon installed on that particular drawer broke within the first few hours. So, unofficial rules are that this is the one drawer Jack can play in.
Speaking of childproofing, it's rather annoying. I cannot tell you how many times a day I go to open my cupboard doors only to be stopped dead in my tracks by some dumb plastic hook thing. They've been the cause of many a broken nail. Jon and I are both getting more adpet at jumping the gate at the bottom of the stairs, although there's been more than one near-fatality. Then again, I'm not sure how much longer I can "jump" anything with this growing belly. And then there's the bathrooms. We have to constantly keep the doors shut to avoid Jack TPing the house. I don't know about you, but keeping my itty-bitty box of a bathroom closed up 24 hours a day kinda skeeves me out. One thing we have not managed to proof are the trash cans. He's learned how to lift the lid up on the kitchen can, and to put things in and pull things out. But the worst event so far was when I found him playing wth Daddy's old wisdom teeth (which Jon had simply thrown in the trash during a cleaning spree). Can you imagine if he had swallowed those? "Uh, yes Doctor. My son ate my husband's wisdom teeth. You can probably spot them on your x-ray machine. I'm so sorry, we'll try to be better about where we put them in the future."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...