Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A tragic loss

My laptop died this weekend. It shut down Friday night and hasn't started back up since. I'm pretty devestated since there were quite a few documents on there that I can't recover - recipes, my pregnancy weight gain spreadsheet, Jacks' newborn logs, the beautiful new baby announcement that I created all by myself!!, etc. Fortunately, we keep more of our pictures, videos and music on the main computer. Otherwise, I'd probably be curled up in a ball sobbing ... three days later.

I haven't entirely given up hope yet, but everyday that goes by with another black screen has left me less and less optimistic. I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that in the future I may never again know how much I weighed when I was 34 weeks pregnant with Jack. So maybe it's not as tragic as I'm making it out to be, but I'm still kinda depressed about it all!

I've learned two things from this incident: (1) never put your faith in worthless junk - BACK UP YOUR FILES! and (2) the occasional purge is healthy. Sometimes I hold on to so much it takes a minor catastrophe to clean things up a bit. Which is why I think this upcoming move is going to be good for us. I'm looking forward to getting rid of some things we no longer need or use, and I'm really looking forward to getting a chance to clean behind that refrigerator! Somewhere in this house is a red, plastic triangle that belongs to Jack's shape bucket, the only toy that has gone missing and failed to turn back up within a week or two, and I'm determined to find it!

Jon has learned something from all this too - terrible things happen to his office when his wife is forced to do her work from there. There are just way too many things for Jack to get his hands on. So while we'd prefer to spend as little time as possible down there, it's kinda hard when your job involves a computer. So the Hubs has assured me that he will be leaving work on time today so that we can get out computer shopping. Until then, my readers can expect sporadic, non-picturated blogs ... and my husband can expect a very messy office!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...