Thursday, February 9, 2012

31 Days of Prayer for Your Husband

Almost 6 years ago, I married Mr.-Impossible-To-Buy-A-Gift-For.  And then I got hit with his birthday, Christmas, Valentine's Day and our anniversary all in 4 months time.  Let's face it, "gift giving" is just not my love language, or at least not the one I best know how to communicate in.  But the hubster is quite talented in this area (I think it runs in his family).  So I was giddy when he came home last week toting this antique wooden mirror from our favorite Virginia Beach consignment store, simply because I mentioned I wanted some sort of wooden wall art in the sad, empty space on our bedroom wall.  He said it was a "thanks for staying home with the kids while I enjoyed my ocean front hotel room at your favorite beach town" gift.  Ok, so maybe those weren't his exact words.  But the sentiment conveyed.

Photobucket


So anyway, what I'm trying to say is Valentine's Day is next week and I've got nothin' for my guy.  I thought I was going to be off the hook this year but his travel schedule changed and now he will be home that day.  So quick, what are your ideas?  What do I get the "manly man" on the most romantic day of the year?

I'll go first. 

I think one of the best gifts you can give your husband are your prayers.  Ok, so I didn't come up with that one myself, but it sounds good.  I've mentioned the book "The Power of a Praying Wife" before.  I've kept it in my bedstand drawer with plans to read a chapter every night for years now.  But let's face it, I'm just not in that season of life where I can spend a lot of time reading.  I need a different way to keep me on track.  Enter: a prayer calendar.

Photobucket


I pulled the text and scripture references from the Revive Our Hearts webpage, pasted them onto 4x6 cards in a Word document, added the actual scriptures (instead of just the references), and tweaked them a little to make sure the text fit.  Printed them off, laminated them, punched two holes in the top, added two binder rings, slapped on a folded piece of cardboard and wa-la, a daily reminder to lift my husband up in prayer.  And then I went and set it out in early January insteading of waiting until February 14 when I could have passed it off as a "gift."  Doh!

Anyway, it took a bit of time to copy all that text, look up the scriptures, format the font and spacing ... ya know.  And contrary to what my husband thinks, I did not bust this out the day we had a huge fight on purpose.  I had been working on it for a few weeks beforehand.  I just happened to finish it a few hours after the whole "biodegradable diaper flushing/toilet clogging/plunger incident."  Oh, I didn't tell you about that?  Hmm, nevermind then.

Anyway, if you're interested in making one for yourself, I'll save you half the trouble.  Here it is!  Just load your printer up with 31 4x6 index cards and print away. (Make sure you click "download original" in the upper right corner instead of printing right from Google Docs.)  You can make a flip calendar, stick 'em on your fridge, keep them in your purse, make them into a decorative garland ... I'm sure you could dress these up and make them real cute but honestly, I just wanted something that would be clear, concise, and easy to read while cleaning Cheerios out of the kitchen drain.

Now obviously, if your guy is anything like mine, he'll probably appreciate the prayers, but not be so crazy about a gift that's really for yourself.  Which brings us back to square one and back to me being stuck!  Since we're down to just 5 days it needs to be homemade, at Target, or available on Amazon with my Prime 2-day shipping.  Let me know what you come up with and we'll pray the hubs doesn't conduct his quarterly review of my blog for another week!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...