Thursday, February 18, 2010

32 Weeks: Time for a Comparison!

So here we are, well into the third trimester, and if I wasn't keeping track the fact that many of my first semester symptoms have returned would be proof enough. I'm back to being tired again, it's harder and harder to get out of bed in the morning, and I don't just mean getting my feet on the floor! Heartburn has returned. And although I haven't felt sick in a while, I'm entering that fun stage where I'm always hungry but feel full after only eating a few bites. And I know I've whined about my sore back and hips enough lately, but I'm mentioning it again only because it's kinda caught me off guard. I don't remmber ever being this uncomfortable when I was pregnant with Jack, other than those super swollen ankles at the end and loose hips after a walk on the beach. But this is different. I feel old this time around.

Once Jack is in bed, I usually spend the rest of the evening on the couch - catching up on work, watching TV, reading and getting my insides beat up by #2. It's very relaxing... until I try to get up. It usually takes a few stumbles across the room for my joints to loosen up and my back to straighten out. But, if this is as bad as it gets I can definitely handle it for another 2 months. Jon is still hoping Baby makes a late appearance so he can get his finals finished, Marmie is hoping Baby is a little early so she can spend plenty of time with him before having to be back at work, and I'm not sure what I want anymore!

Anyway, when I say Baby is beating me up on the inside I really mean it! He moves all day long, although I think I notice it most at night because that's usually when it's just me and him. Twice this week he's kicked me so hard that I actually said "ouch" out loud. He also does that funny little bladder dance at the most inopportune times, like when I'm trying to have a conversation with someone. It's really hard to concentrate when you suddenly have the urge to use the bathroom RIGHT THEN!

Speaking of such inconveniences, Jon was making fun of me this last trip to PA because I can no longer claim to have a "hollow leg." I actually had to make pit-stops more often than him this time. But I tried to explain to him that me having to go to the bathroom is not the same thing as him having to go to the bathroom. It's not just a full bladder, and a baby kicking at that bladder, but the fuller it gets the more crowded my other organs become, and then they push into odd places on my body, like my diaphragm and love handles. So, not only do I really have to pee, but I am having trouble breathing and I can hardly move in my seat anymore because my liver is jammed between my pelvis and rib cage. And this is why I'd really like you to pull over at the next rest stop!!

This is also the stage of pregnancy where people start telling me how small I'm carrying. Either they are trying to make me feel better about gaining all this weight, or they really, truly can't believe I only have 8 more weeks to go. I never figured it out with Jack and I still can't figure it out this time around. All I know is that when I look at the last belly picture I took when I was pregnant with Jack, it looks pretty big to me!

Interestingly enough, I've gained 22 pounds so far (same as I did with Jack at this point) and my belly is 39 inches around (also the same as Jack at this point). And, I believe, this now calls for a comparison shot:

32 weeks with #2


32 weeks with #1

Other than the fact that I'm not nearly as tan this time around, I think things look pretty similar.
I had my 32 week pre-natal check-up today. Jon met me there to watch Jack. I was lying on the bed while the nurse was checking for Baby's heartbeat and we both heard this thumping going up and down the hall. The nurse was like, "What is that!? It sounds like someone's dancing outside the door!" "Um, I'm pretty sure that's my son, he tends to walk like an elephant."
So anyway, the appointment went well. She never tells me what I'm measuring so I'm assuming I'm within the legal limits. My glucose test came back negative, my weight gain slowed down a bit since my last appointment and Baby had a strong heartbeat at 147 bpms. In typical #2 fashion it was very hard to find. The nurse had to put her hand on my belly to "hold him still" so she could get a good measurement.
And apparently our boy is now transverse. She said it's probably because he's trying to turn. Keep working kid, you're almost there!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...