Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Because milk isnt the only food I make

Jack's kinda a big eater. We are officially on a 4-hour schedule (hooray!) eating 4 times a day (and sleeping 11.5 hours at night I'm happy to add!!!). But besides 4 "servings" of milk he also eats two bowls of cereal and 5 jars of baby food each day. That's 14 bowls of cereal and 35 jars of baby food a week. That's almost $20 a week extra in groceries, or over $80 a month!! So I'm trying to get better at making our own babyfood. Not that it's hard work, but it does take a lot of time. And as a working mom I have to evaluate just how much my time is worth. On the other hand, it's somewhat difficult to justify spending $.45 on a 3.5 ounce jar of squash, when I could spend only $.40 a pound for the real thing. Not to mention that squash is my favorite to make!

My first two experiments were squash and sweet potatoes, both went well. I then tried peas. They turned out okay but are on the chunky side, and Jack's just not used to too much chunk yet. Then I tried carrots. I thought these turned out pretty good but he started gagging when I tried to feed them to him today. He's so dramatic. I ended up mixing half of my carrots with half of the store carrots and that seemed to work okay. By the way, how long does it take to steam some carrots!? Much longer than I originally thought. So long, in fact, that I forgot about them. Until I noticed a burning smell. I can now add the cost of one permanently damaged pot to my babyfood budget.

I haven't yet braved the fruit. Although I did get smart enough to buy natural applesauce in bulk and freeze it in an ice cube tray since the jar goes bad after 10 days. And I found some recipes for teething biscuits I want to try soon. So far we're on a strict milk, cereal and stage 2 fruits and veggies only diet (and only the ones that consist of food and water, not that other crazy stuff!). It was hard enough starting Jack on solids, but I don't know what I'm going to do when he can start snacking on his own Cheerios. Then he really won't need me around anymore. :(

3 comments:

mimi schnure :) said...

From one pot burner to another: If you want to salvage your saucepan, fill it halfway with water, then add dishwasher detergent, about 1/4 cup and bring to a boil. Let it boil for at least 10 minutes (but don't burn it again!). This loosens most of the charcoal and you can scrub away the rest.

J9 said...

Really? I'm going to try it. I was going to throw it out but Jon assured me if I put it in the yard sale pile someone would buy it. :)

Tambre McClenny said...

I am so proud of you Janine for attempting this! I had wanted to try to make my own food, but like you, found it is VERY time consuming and convenience ended up winning that battle.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...